Regretful O'Keefe thought career was over

Regretful O'Keefe thought career was over


Regretful O'Keefe thought career was over

Australia's left-arm spinner Steve O'Keefe admitted he feared for his career after his transgression in April this year saw him suspended by New South Wales for the domestic limited-overs tournament and fined AUD 20,000.

O'Keefe received the punishment for making "highly inappropriate comments" in an inebriated state at New South Wales' end-of-season awards function. Earlier in 2016, he was reported by the police and fined AUS 10,000 for misbehaving outside a pub in Sydney after his Sri Lanka tour was cut short by injury.

O'Keefe wasn't considered for Australia's tour of Bangladesh at first, but has flown in to replace the injured Josh Hazlewood for the second Test against Bangladesh.

"Yeah I did [think my career was over]. Originally I felt that when I stuffed up the first time, you're very lucky you get second chances and I got that, and I faltered again and made some mistakes, which I completely regret, I'm extremely sorry for. I'm just fortunate I've got supportive people around me who, as quick as they are to hand out punishment, will be the same people there to support so that as an individual I'm on the right track, not just as a cricketer," O'Keefe said on Friday (September 1).

"I completely accept the punishment handed down from NSW to ban me from the [limited-overs] cup, it was Andrew Jones's decision and he thought that was right and I respect his judgement call on it. What was communicated to me was that was where it was at, the one-day tournament and not anything else. I wasn't in a position to even challenge it and I completely understand why I got it. But I've known from the outset that was the decision, and Cracker [Australia's chairman of selectors, Trevor Hohns] also reiterated to me that the door is not shut on you playing for Australia."

While the door wasn't shut, it wasn't entirely open either since he didn't make the initial squad for Bangladesh tour, despite playing a pivotal role in Australia's only victory on the four-Test tour of India earlier this year. O'Keefe finished with match figures of 12 for 70 in an excellent win in Pune that kicked off the series, but his form, like Australia's, waned since. Hence, the call to fill in for Hazlewood came as a surprise to the tweaker.

"I was having a feed with a mate and saw the missed phone-call and was quite surprised to be honest. I originally got the message from David Freedman [NSW's state talent manager] saying he had a message from Cracker [Hohns] and they're still thinking of you and considering you. That was nice to know, then an hour after that I got a call from Cracker who filled me in with the good news.

"One thing I admire about Cracker even though it can be hard to hear sometimes is that he's upfront and honest. They were going down a different path with some younger players, which I totally understand, who have played really well in that last Test. I didn't know Josh was injured so was a bit surprised with that, that he was coming home and then replacing a fast bowler surprised me as well."

Australia faced a similar fate in Bangladesh, as they did in India, where their spinners couldn't entirely match the effectiveness of their Bangladesh counterparts. In Hazlewood's absence, Australia have the chance to field an additional spinner, if the track for the second Test is similar to the first. O'Keefe, on his part, is ready to walk into the XI or sit out for pacer Jackson Bird, based on whichever combination Cricket Australia deems fit for the game.

"You don't really need to be Einstein to work out why you're here, having a look at that wicket and the overs the quicks bowled, it provides an opportunity to play an extra spinner if conditions dictate," O'Keefe said. "If they don't, Jackson Bird's had more experience than anyone in this squad as a fast bowler and would do a great job. I'm sure he's champing at the bit to have a crack. It'll depend on conditions but I'm certainly preparing to play," O'Keefe opined.

"I know these moments for me will probably come around fleetingly, so I'm going to enjoy it. I'm excited to be back with the guys and I want to make a difference on the field and off the field with these guys in this group now. Playing or not playing, I want to make a difference," he added.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.