Johnson doesn't rule out international comeback

Johnson doesn't rule out international comeback


Johnson doesn't rule out international comeback

Former Australian pacer Mitchell Johnson has not completely ruled out a return to international cricket. Johnson, who is currently playing in the Big Bash League for Perth Scorchers, said that he would 'think about it' if the selectors come calling for the three-match Twenty20 International series against Sri Lanka next month at home.

In a career spanning almost 10 years, he took 590 wickets in international cricket before retiring in November 2015. In his first ever BBL appearance this season, Johnson has been in good form picking up 12 wickets in the tournament. He has the third best average (15.66) and the second best economy rate (6.26) this season among the top 10 wicket-takers.

"I'm getting asked this question a hell of a lot at the moment," Johnson told Fox Sports. "I mean, the ears definitely pricked up."

The 35-year-old bowled a menacing spell on Tuesday (January 24) where he picked up 3 for 3 in his four overs against Melbourne Stars to guide the Scorchers into the final. Following his performance, Johnson revealed that the Scorchers' coach Justin Langer asked him about the possibility of turning up for Australia once again. Langer will be coaching the national side on an interim basis for the T20I series against Sri Lanka with head coach Darren Lehmann and the first-choice players preparing for the Tests in India.

"I was sat next to Justin Langer who's the coach for the T20 side, he did ask if I was available. At the time I didn't click that he was actually the coach (for the T20 series) and I said 'no chance!' and he goes 'are you sure?' and I was like, yeah, nah, not keen at all. But look, I keep getting asked and I just want to play good cricket and have some fun and I'm doing that with the Big Bash."

Even though the left-arm pacer insisted earlier this month that a comeback is not on the cards, he has now revealed that he could be tempted if the selectors can manage to persuade him. "If I get a call from the selectors then maybe I'll think about it but to be honest I'm pretty happy where I'm sitting at the moment," he said.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.